M - 12 (Trees and Toilets)



Today may go down in history as the most surreal day of all time. Where do I start? Let's begin with the weather. We all knew today would be stormy with rain and gusty winds. Normally I would be concerned since our house is nestled among old, tall pine trees and our neighborhood tends to lose power if you even so much as cough the wrong way. I was more concerned about possible power outages because the electricians were working at the house and we're so desperate to have all essential work complete before the move. Maybe my selfish haste toyed with the weather gods. Everything was running smoothly in our over-priced Wellesley rental up until about 2:30 pm when Ozan got a call and I heard him blurt, "Oh no that's terrible." And then the pit started to grow in my stomach. My gut reaction was, "Covid?"  I heard him say something about a tree and then I checked my texts. My neighbor texted that a large pine tree fell onto the van parked next to our house. That van belonged to our contractor and the windshield was smashed. Dealing with emergencies is even more amplified and stressful during a pandemic when you are supposed to stay at home, and you feel completely out of sorts. Ozan took off and went to the house to wait for the tree service. All I could think of was, "I hope he stays 6 feet away!" I keep thinking of the book Fortunately in these situations. Unfortunately, a tree crashed on a car. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. Unfortunately, the tree blocked the road. Fortunately, the tree service came and removed the tree. Unfortunately, a large unsightly, broken 20-foot tree trunk is on the corner of our lot. Fortunately, the tree service promised to come back and remove it. 

Ozan returned two hours later soaked, but still wearing his gloves. In the end, everything took care of itself. Even our contractor was not overly concerned about the smashed car and almost seemed delighted in the fact that he'll get a check from his insurance. But perhaps even more bizarre than this tree incident was Ozan's story about the missing remote control for our new fancy Toto washlet (that's code for bidet). While at the house, he was not able to close the seat and then realized the remote control was missing (yes, that's right. The remote for the toilet). At this point, I felt weird texting our contractor to ask if he happened to move the toilet remote so I guess we'll need to wait for tomorrow. 

4/14/2020 Update: The remote was placed in the vanity! I am complete now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

snacking my way through the streets of Turkey

M - 27

Guide to Get Through New England Winter